Essay Submission Requirements:
Tell us all about your experience abroad! Let us know how studying abroad in Japan or the United States has affected you and your future goals, or how it has changed or enforced a particular viewpoint. All submissions will be considered.
Potential essayists are asked to use one or more of the following prompts in a 1-4 page essay:
- Did your study abroad experience have an impact on your career choice? If so, how?
- Have you stayed in contact with individuals you met during your study abroad experience? If so, in what capacity?
- What skills did you develop and what did you learn about yourself or your host country?
- Can you tell a seminal experience or personal story about your experience abroad?
- How would you rank in importance your study abroad experience is in your overall life experience?
- Why is it important today for people to have experience abroad?
- How important is study abroad in today’s world?
- Approximately 500 words
- 1 or 2 pictures relating to your story
- Preference is given to study abroad experiences in either Japan or the United States
- We have no requirements for age, date of study abroad, educational affiliation or length of study abroad (we are interested in a diversity of viewpoints)
In addition to your essay, please include in your submission:
- Your full name
- Daytime telephone number
- E-mail address
- A suggested title for your essay
Please email your submission to: culcon at jusfc dot gov. If you need more information please contact culcon at jusfc dot gov or 202-653-9802. Thank you for your interest and we look forward to hearing from you.